- When is the best time to buy my plane ticket?
- Personally, I don’t wait a certain amount of time before my trip to book. I’ve booked as much as four months prior and as little as 5 days prior. It just depends. I would not recommend waiting until the last minute to book an international trip, however. I would book an international trip at least 1 month before you plan to go. I personally like to book on Tuesday evenings. Check out the ‘Budget Travel’ page for more booking tips.
- Should I save money and buy a passport card instead of a passport book?
- The only time that I would recommend buying a passport card is if you don’t have a passport and are going to Mexico or Canada by car or on foot and a passport book won’t arrive in time. I say this, because you may NOT fly out of the country with a passport card. It’s just best to get the book.
- I’ve never tried Air B’n’B….is it safe?
- Air BnB is a very reputable space sharing service that can be a good alternative to hotels. The people that are renting their spaces are checked out by the company to make sure they are trustworthy. Also, you can read reviews from others that have stayed with them. Like hotels, there are good experiences and bad experiences. Just read the reviews to make the best decision.
- Do I need travel insurance?
- I recommend travel insurance for EVERY international trip. Most likely you’ve spent a lot of money on the trip and it pays to be insured for such a big purchase if something unforeseen arises. Some travel insurance also covers hospital/doctor’s visits abroad if you were to get hurt or sick. It’s up to you if you want to get travel insurance for a domestic trip. It does add added protection, but if your ticket wasn’t too expensive and you wouldn’t miss the money if you lost it, I would pass on it.
- Do I need vaccines before I leave the country?
- It’s not often that you need to be vaccinated before you leave the country, but there are recommendations for some countries that carry potential risks. Look here for a list of countries and their vaccine recommendations.
Have questions that aren’t listed here? Contact me so I can help!